5 Tips for Designing "Buzzworthy” Honey Jar Labels
Designing a custom honey jar label that captures your customers’ attention doesn’t have to be hard. But if you’ve been too “buzzy” working on your honey and you haven’t quite figured out how to create the perfect honey jar label, we’re here to help.
From showcasing your most creative flavors to choosing your label material, there is a lot that goes into a label. To help simplify the process and get your honey on shelves sooner, let’s break down how beekeepers can create and design a honey label that is as much of an art as the honey making itself.
Let’s dive in!
Create a Buzz Around Your Honey
Your honey is sweet, and it deserves an equally sweet hype plan. Creating a buzz isn't easy but there are a few ways to do it.
Get Creative with Your Flavors
Honey is anything but boring! To make yours stand out, consider developing creative new flavors.
Experiment with adding raspberry, cinnamon, or lavender to your usual honey, or blend unique flavors to come up with something new. The more creative you can get, the more your honey will stand out from the rest. If you are looking to take it a step further, you can color-match your honey label to the corresponding flavor. Check out how the Queen Bee Gardens label provides a deep purplish-red color for the raspberry flavor and blue for huckleberry.
Create a Strong Brand Voice
Focusing on your brand voice is a great way to generate buzz around your honey. Even if you’re unfamiliar with the term “brand voice,” you’ve probably experienced it without thinking. It’s the way Apple uses a familiar, informal voice to talk to its customers. The way a teen apparel brand uses slang. The way a manufacturing company uses industry jargon and specifications. Those are all examples of brand voice!
If you want your brand to stand out, developing a strong and unique voice is key. Here are a few tips:
- Identify your audience. Before you can nail your brand voice, you’ve got to know who you’re talking to. Build an audience persona to find out exactly who is buzzing around your hive.
- Stay consistent. Your brand voice should be the same on your packaging, sales materials, social media profiles, and website. People should be able to recognize you when they read your content.
- Take hints from brands you admire. Is there a company you love? Check out their website and take note of how they use brand voice. Apply what you’ve learned to your branding.
- Adapt accordingly. You might have to change or update your voice as you grow. That’s just fine! Stay flexible enough to adjust when needed.
Nurture Your Audience
Build relationships with your audience by engaging them regularly.
Share new flavors you’ve developed on your social media profiles, ask for followers’ input, create a newsletter to keep your readers posted on what’s going on with your business, and encourage followers to share pictures of their favorite ways to enjoy your honey.
Remember, customer relationships are relationships nonetheless, and they deserve to be treated like a ‘queen bee’ accordingly.
4 Tips for Designing Custom Honey Jar Labels
Creating a buzz is a key part of your marketing strategy and there’s no better way to make your honey stand out than with a beautiful label. Here are a few tips to designing custom honey jar labels that are truly bee-witching:
1. Play with shape and size
Who says a label needs to be a square or rectangle? Get creative with how you use size and shape on your honey jar labels. People are highly visual and a unique label will grab your customers’ attention right away. For that reason, play with different label shapes and sizes to make sure it complements the jar.
2. Choose your material carefully
No matter what you do, you want to make sure that your honey jar labels are clear, easy to read, durable, and high-quality. A great label makes a great first impression and helps you present a truly impressive product.
Truth “bee” told, you want the material of your honey label to stand the test of time - and to hold up to anything your customers might put it through in the kitchen or on the road. As a result, we recommend choosing a material that is:
A material like polypropylene is a great option for durable, waterproof labels that last.
3. Tell a story
Go beyond your brand name and flavor type. Instead, get creative and tell your story!
Mix in bold, bright colors or a catchy punchline to help your product stand out from the rest. Play with fonts for a unique look or add images for a visual pop. Take a look at the example above. We love the cheeky line on the label above: “I got stung in the head for this!!” Consider including a line like “From my backyard bees to you,” or something else that will tell the story of where your honey comes from.
4. Make them FDA-compliant
Make sure any label you intend to use on your honey is FDA-compliant. An FDA-compliant label should include the following details:
- Honey type. Is it creamed honey? Wildflower honey? Be specific on the label.
- Is the honey produced from honeydew or nectar? Providing details about the honey’s source helps customers get the product they’re looking for.
- Floral source? Is your honey multifloral or unifloral? Consider adding a few notes about how the floral source affects the tasting notes people will notice in your honey.
- Country or origin. If you import your honey, you need to note that on the label.
- Place of origin. Your label should detail the topographical origin of the honey.
And more. Read the FDA’s guidelines on proper honey labeling to make sure you’ve included all needed information.
While you have to include all the FDA-required information, it’s also important to remember to have fun with your label!
Design Your Custom Honey Jar Labels with Stomp
When it comes to truly bee-autiful honey jar labels, Stomp is your one-stop-shop. Our team offers the tools for artisans like you to design, proof, and print high-quality honey jar labels that will help you showcase the sweet stuff.
Ready to create a buzz? Contact our printing experts to help get your started.
- Marketing Team